Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Va-Yishlach (The Meeting)

This week's contribution represents my experimentation with the American form known as a cinquain. Although normally this form consists of five lines with 2-4-6-8-2 syllables per line respectively, I have taken liberties with the exact form in "the Meeting," (version 1), adapting the form to reflect what I believe to be the simbiotic mythological relationship between Jacob, who becomes Israel, and his estranged, "wild" brother Esav. The second poem is a more traditional cinquain. Please let me know your thoughts and I encourage you to attempt one of your own.

Version 1:

Meeting
Meeting:
One brother flees,
runs to the hairy hoard
to grasp the heel to which he clung
before they were estranged.
After wrestling angels
relationship
begins.


Version 2:

Scarred beneath the Thigh
This scar
beneath your thigh--
a sign to future sons.
I bless to fix your broken name--
a song.

No comments:

Post a Comment